Sunday, February 19, 2012

20th Century Art Music Giants


            For the most part, my listening through chapter 6  ("Twentieth-Century Music: A History of Musical Style in Modern Europe and America")  began as a review of many of the pieces I loved as a composition student. Beginning with composers such as Mahler, Debussy and Scriabin then moving on to Schoenberg and Stravinsky, of course Ravel and Satie had to be accounted for as well as Bartok and Janacek. I was delighted in reacquainting myself with this music as there was so much more available through technology such as YouTube or MP3 downloads through Amazon.com than there ever was 8-14 years ago. Because of this (as well as your remarks and guidance) I was able to hear a much more in depth survey of examples.

            The first listening was intended for setting up a context for the music of the 20th century primarily as experimenting with sounds either prohibited or unavailable to earlier composers. When we look through the more experimental music of Mozart or Liszt, it is easy to see that both the Classical and Romantic periods had their share of writing dissonances. Indeed, if we search back further back to the music of Don Carlo Gesualdo or very early counterpoint of the Middle Ages we see that dissonance is really nothing new but rather something that has been examined by every generation in one way or another. What seems to have happened with the music of Mahler, Debussy and Scriabin (as well as many others) was that the late Romantic notion of challenging “traditional” tonalism was finally the norm rather than the exception. What is so interesting is that music from this period is still particularly popular. Whenever I have an adult student wanting to learn the piano the goal is often to play some sort of late Romantic piece or often Satie and Debussy (the Gymnopodies and Clare de Lune are common goals) very rarely does someone come in and request learning Alberto Ginistera’s Twelve American Preludes or Schoenberg’s Six Little Piano Pieces.

           Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun was a piece that was especially moving, not only did the choreography of Vaslav Nijinsky break many norms in dance, the whole concept of the through composed music moving through lush beautiful themes seemed very liberating. I tend to think of things in a very compositional mindset and I am the personality type who easily gets bogged down in considerations such as form or modulation (I am actually a pretty traditional writer in many respects) and the idea of being able to justify movement in a piece based on the music telling a story seems like a large weight off the shoulders of the composer.

            Debussy’s “Prelude” naturally led me to listen to Ravel’s Daphnis et Chloe which I have always felt was a monument of orchestration. The use of choir achieved a sense of the outer-worldliness that seemed very natural yet foreign. Again, this was program music but tempered by the fact that it was meant to accompany dancers (as much of this very forward looking music was). The orchestra itself was employed in a way where the fluttering flutes and largely voiced strings worked to achieve what many must think of as the height of “romantic” music composition. I found your comment very interesting about La Valse being a “slap in the face to the Viennese who had just lost the war. I have listened to that piece more times than I could possibly recollect and have never thought of it in that context. I wonder if it were possible for you to expand on that point as I always thought that Ravel had not expressed any sincere hatred toward the German people and even went so far as to not participate in the signing of a German music boycott (this I read in the Ravel biography Man and Musician by Arbie Orenstein published by Dover 1991). I would be very interested if Ravel had any political leanings to cause him to mock the German waltz.
  
          Moving on to the Schoenberg and Webern pieces, the character of the listening experience changed drastically. Schoenberg’s Chamber Symphony was not only “so tonal it hurts” but to be honest, the disconnected phrases just “hurt” in general. It is very difficult for me to come out against a composition by an individual so beloved by many of my colleagues, in many ways Schoenberg has become a very mythical figure for many musicians and to criticize his works is to almost blatantly label yourself as an unsophisticated music lover. In considering the music of Schoenberg (in general) I considered the notion that perhaps my friends and fellow music students were able to hear something in his pieces that I was not able to hear, a special beauty available only to those with some heightened intelligence or ability in music which, alas, was lacking in me. I have given this period of Schoenberg’s output repeated opportunities to move me and it has not, I must therefore reconcile myself that I will never find works such as the Chamber Symphony beautiful or moving. I would have appreciated this music very much with some kind of visual stimulus though, I believe as a film score or ballet, this could be very effective at drawing an audience in, but as it is, it is completely forgettable (for me). I did find the very pointalistic approach of Agamemnon somewhat more captivating to my ears, somehow when the abstract melodic lines are freed from the constant clusters of sound they are much easily more appreciated. The brevity of Webern’s music in general makes it much more palatable as it is able to be experienced and left behind in a relatively short period of time.

           The main Schoenberg piece for which I have always made an exception to my previous criticisms has been Pierrot Lunare. This was a piece which I admired so much I often listened to it on long drives out of town. This leads me to an interesting point regarding the use of the human voice. Once a piece of music that would otherwise be a very challenging listen is codified with use of a singer, it all of a sudden takes on a different context. The addition of the singspiel in Lunare was probably the most brilliant aspect of its creation, fusing poetry with the new surrealistic sound was a way of tapping into the commonly held interest in psychology and Freud that would have been lost on an audience in a purely instrumental work.

            I don’t think that it is too far of a stretch to say that Stravinsky is best known for The Rite of Spring (on YouTube there is an excellent rendering of the ballet with the original Nijinsky choreography), as an orchestration it is an incredible achievement in the way he manages the almost obscene complexity of many of the portions. I very much enjoyed the ER analogy for the way his musical “phrases” are set up, it is probably the best one I have heard. I always tried to liken it to a flip book of related photos, all of the photos make up the one “book” but they are also individual ideas all their own. I like the television show idea better though. In terms of pieces by Stravinsky other than The Rite of Spring, the other ballets stand out as very good examples of his orchestral voice. Petrushka as well as the Firebird are standards for students of orchestration. The Firebird is especially memorable for its Lullaby and Finale as themes that are very effective and repetitive; it is not difficult to hear an audience humming the final fanfare upon leaving a performance of that piece. As far as Stravinsky’s non orchestral music, one section of his compositions with which I was not familiar was his works for piano. I was unable to locate the piece that was discovered after his death but I did spend some time listening to the 1924 sonata as well as a handful of others. I found them to by varying degrees of interesting, especially the dramatic and forceful use of ornaments which sounded very Baroque to me (as noted in the Morgan text, the term neo-classical could very well have been called neo-baroque).

           This final listening for this portion of the reading dealt with the composers Bartok and Janacek and their contributions to both the string quartet form and opera. The Bartok String Quartet in C# minor sounded (as was noted by both you and the video) very similar to the contrapuntal style of Beethoven. This is not so surprising to me, as the legacy of Beethoven is something that seems quite inescapable (we only have to consider that the textbook; Concise History of Western Music By Dr. Margaret Hanning devotes a full chapter to Beethoven while other great composers such as Monteverdi, Bach, Mozart and Haydn must share chapters with each other).  Therefore any comparison to Beethoven, I imagined worked in Bartok’s favor. On the subject of Janacek, I found the Opera Jenufa to be very moving and the lyrical speech-like patterns in the soprano voice were very enjoyable to hear. The Morgan text did not include any mention of the murder of Janacek’s classmate and the possible psychological effects it had on him or his compositions, it would have been interesting if this event were noted in the textbook to give a more complete picture to this composer’s life and works. The Cunning Little Vixen cartoon was absolutely fascinating and I did a little research on the project and Amazon.com turned out to have a few really good write-ups in the order section for the DVD.  I read that it originally aired on the BBC to relatively high acclaim and itself was based off of a 1920’s cartoon strip. This stylization was very evident in the clip on YouTube and I think I might order the video as I have many young students who might benefit from seeing this kind of accessible art especially since it only last for about an hour.
   
         It goes without saying that many pieces had to be omitted from this discussion paper. I tried to stay with the works that sparked the most thoughts from me and would therefore make the most interesting points. I feel as though the repertoire that I have heard thus far will enable to make very detailed comparisons with the music in the next 6 chapters including thoughts and reflections on political circumstances and how they affect composers and their craft. It is very interesting to me though, that when we consider music of the 20th century many CD compilations what feature that title stop with the composers mentioned above. It is perhaps due to the fact that it appears we are moving farther and farther away from what many would consider “listenable” music. It could also be symptomatic of the intrusion of “popular” music into the art music world. It would also be foolish to think that these two circumstances (among many others) were unrelated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment