Sunday, July 17, 2011

Gurmat Sangeet Outreach Retreat and Camp: Introduction

I have an interest in Indian music in general, I enjoy all forms of raaga from eastern Afghanistan to Bengal and everything inbetween. I thoroughly love the Quawwali of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, the Sarangi of Ram Naryan and the Sarod playing of Ali Akbar Khan. My first ambition in attempting to learn the theory and practice of of this music was to give a new flavor to my own compositions - now it has blossomed into a ful passion, one that takes my constant attention.

However; Indian music education in the US is still in relative infancy, most of us who have a desire to learn end up seeking out local teachers who are usually not musicians nor teachers by profession. Sometimes this is not even an option and for the rest of us we have only to consult texts, videos and online tutorials.

So, when I stumbled across London's Raj Academy program in Dilruba I jumped on the opportunity - I didn't know the type of music I would be studying (traditional shabad of the Sikh religion) but the chance to learn an instrument that had been so elusive to me was more than I could resist. Its been about a year now since I have enrolled in the Gurmat Sangeet Outrach program and I feel like things have been relatively successful. I have recently just finished their week long workshop in Detroit, Michigan and wanted to share my experiences with you in the hopes that they might be of aide to people who embark on a similar journey.

To read the other instalments, please see: part 2, part 3, part 4, part 5, part 6 and part 7

No comments:

Post a Comment